2015 Lean Startup Conference Program Details
Talks about Design/UXReturn to full program
Monday, November 16, 2015
Workshops12:00 PM - 5:30 PM
For Platinum and Gold Passes only.
- From Inspiration to Innovation - Using Design Thinking to Build Creative New Products12:00-1:30 PMRoom: C210
In this hands-on workshop, Christina Wodtke and Laura Klein will teach you useful Design Thinking techniques like Storyboarding, Empathy Mapping, and Generative Research that will help you better understand your users and build more innovative products.
- Lightning-fast Customer Insights2:00-3:30 PMRoom: C210
Do you want to:
- radically accelerate your customer discovery process?
- identify EXACTLY the right 5-7 people to test your idea?
- quickly turn research insights into design-ready stories?
If you answered YES, this workshop is for you. We’ll teach you a proven, step-by-step system for generating actionable customer insights in 1-2 weeks. You’ll learn how to:
- Quickly identify EXACTLY the right people to test your idea
- Surface their most relevant habits & needs
- Transform those insights into design-ready stories
This workshop is targeted at anyone involved in early design – startup CEOs, product manageres, designers, researchers, etc. Teams are strongly encouraged to attend together.
- Driving Change Within the Enterprise4:00-5:30 PMRoom: BATS
Even when large organizations have the appetite for change, it’s hard to put philosophy into practice. In this workshop, Cindy Alvarez will talk about approaches that have worked (and not worked) to get teams across Microsoft to be Lean and experimental. Hands-on exercises will include working with skeptics, practice interviewing, and running “premortems”.
- Secrets of Game Thinking4:00-5:30 PMRoom: C210
Do you want to:
- understand how games leverage skill-building to drive long-term engagement?
- create an experience that engages your customers throughout their life cycle?
- build a simple, compelling MVP that drives engagement and promotes skill-building?
If you answered YES, this workshop is for you. We’ll pull back the curtain, and reveal how successful games and game-like products engage players for months – even years – with skill-building systems, progressive challenges, and unlockable powers. You will learn to:
- design a 4-stage Customer Narrative that captures your end-to-end experience
- build a simple, compelling Core Loop that engages your super-fans
- create a development roadmap outlining what to build first – and why
This lively, hands-on design workshop is targeted at anyone who wants to understand how to harness game design insights to drive long-term engagement. Product teams are strongly encouraged to attend together.
Tuesday, November 17, 2015
Afternoon Breakouts2:00 PM - 4:45 PM
- How to Build Products Your Customers will Love2:30 - 3:00 PMRoom: BATS
Tom Nguyen, Principal Product Manager at Adobe, reveals the lessons he learned introducing Lean Startup to create one of Adobe’s most successful mobile apps – which would inspire a new product family and be named by Apple as one of the Best Apps of the Year. Whether you’re bootstrapping or want to know how to make lean work in a big corporation, learn how empathetic design, radical simplicity, and iteration can help you build products that bring people joy.
- Applying Lean Principles to Anticipatory Experiences3:30 - 4:30 PMRoom: General's Residence Dining Room
Our obsession with beautiful apps and designed experiences is distracting us from our purpose: making life easier for people. The future lies in smart products and services that anticipate user needs and automatically make decisions for us, requiring as little interaction as possible. But creating services that execute on behalf of their users requires extra attention to lean principles. In her talk, Patricia Korth-McDonnell will introduce the concept of anticipatory design, address how to identify the most valuable problem to solve with the minimum effort necessary, and underscore the importance of listening to user feedback to ensure the right balance of automation and control.
Wednesday, November 18, 2015
Morning Plenary9:45 AM - 12:30 PM
- Turbo-Charge Your Early Product DevelopmentRoom: Herbst
It’s easier than ever to create a new, innovative product, game, app or service. But most innovative projects never take off and reach their intended audience. What differentiates the ones that DO? What do teams who create genre-defining hits do differently? In this talk, you’ll learn 5 early design hacks that will help you find and delight your aspirational audience – illustrated with front-line stories from eBay, Ultima Online, The Sims, Rock Band, Covet Fashion, Happify and Pley. You’ll come away with a smarter approach to early product design – and 5 practical, actionable hacks that will increase your odds of success.